How to Refund a Check Payment
Only a Financial Admin Full Access can do this.
One scenario: An account was invoiced for March dues and they paid them but they then decide to leave the team or not attend for March. Now the account would like to be refunded actual money as opposed to having a credit on their account.
NOTE - This is a two step process!
1. Issue a credit
- Go to Invoices & Payments.
- Chameleon users: In the side menu click Billing Admin > Invoices & Payments.
- New CMS users: In the side menu click Business Tools > Invoices & Payments.
- Search for the account.
- Click view in the Acct Balance column.
- On the next screen click New Credit.
- Fill in the Credit Description field to be seen by the account (could be "not attending in March").
- Click Select by Chart of Account.
- Click Select by the desired Chart of Account. Best practice is to select the same CoA the invoice was first created against.
- Enter a negative dollar amount for the Amount to Credit.
- Click Save Credit.
2. Refund the money
- Click New Refund Credit Balance.
- Click the Payment Type dropdown and select -Refund-.
- Fill in the New Refund Amount (use a negative dollar amount since you will be reducing your monies).
- Enter the Check # (which is the check # from your payables system).
- Enter any necessary message or memo.
- Click Save New Refund.