Admin Guide: TUPayments - Payment Processing
Taking full advantage of TeamUnify's payment processing system is a breeze. Start today with these easy steps to get your accounts to put a form of payment on file!
Step 1: Get a Payment Type on File
Get your parents to put their credit cards on file with your swim team; this will make your job easier!
- Log into your site and go to the Team Admin > Account/Member Admin section.
- Select all accounts.
- Click the yellow Communicate button and select Email Autopay Instructions (you can preview this email in this section as well).
Best Practice: Remove the “pay by check option.” Many teams are now requiring families to have a form of payment on file. In SwimOffice you can remove the ability to pay by check, streamlining your billing and payment process. (SuperUsers will still have the ability to designate accounts to “pay by check”. There are always exceptions to the rule.)
Step 2: Monitor Payment Trends
Once parents begin placing cards on file, monitor who is and who isn't adding a payment type on file, view progress and communicate using Account/Member Admin system.
- In Team Admin > Account/Member Admin click the Customize Filters button.
- Select the Pay Method filter and turn on the None and Check filters on the right, then click Done.
- This allows you to view accounts that have and have not placed their CC/ACH on file. It is then easy to monitor or remind accounts to add their payment information to their account using this filter and the communication suite. You can even export a custom Excel report with any desired filters, including payment type, from this screen.
- Make sure to save this view so you can come back in the future. Click Saved Views in the top right corner, name your view, then click Save View to save this filter set for future use.
Best Practice: For the first 60-90 days after you launch your TUPayments gateway it is a great idea to send the "Email Autopay Instructions" email weekly to all accounts without a payment type on file. This account view can be found in the saved view you created in Step #2.
Step 3: Require Payment Types
One of the best ways to ensure your accounts are up-to-date is to restrict meet declarations.
- Restricting declarations to only accounts with electronic payment options allows you to not only keep your account outstanding balances from growing but can help to bring accounts current who have outstanding balances.
- To set default meet declarations restrictions for all future events, go to Billing Admin > Billing Setup, scroll down to Default Financial Requirements for Events, then choose your desired global settings and click Save Changes.
- Now when you create a new Event/Meet these settings will show up in Step 5: Financial Requirements.
Best Practice: For the first 30 days of your introduction of the Payment Processing system, use the 30-day restriction to limit account charges from growing. After day 30 turn on the financial restrictions to require a payment type on file to enter a member into a meet.
Remove Manually Mail-In Payment as an Option
When you activate your TU Payment system you can remove the ability to pay by check, streamlining your billing and payment process.
- Read our article to learn how to turn off the ability for accounts to pay by check.
- Waiting for checks, manually inputting them into your accounting system and taking them to the bank wastes valuable time. Eliminate all this extra work.
- Teams who remove manual pay options are seeing over 80% of their membership paying on time electronically every month.
TU Recommendation: Use your registration system to collect credit card information, registration fees, and update account information.
- Before the season even begins, capture the most up-to-date payment information on your accounts.
- You can even connect outstanding balances from the billing system at registration to bring accounts current.
Best Practice: In Online Registration set your registration to limit payment to credit card only and then require payment information to be saved for future Autopay use. Setting up your registration with these parameters allows you to capture up-to-date and viable payment information at the beginning of the season.
On Demand Payments
TU Recommendation: Once an account has auto pay, you have the option to charge payments on demand.
- Utilize this billing feature to create charges on the fly that automatically bill and charge an account.
- Pay outstanding balance or a user defined amount, and optionally create a corresponding invoice.
- Allow parents to make On Demand Payments as well.
- You can even post a charge using our OnDeck mobile application right on the spot.
The reporting tools inside the SwimOffice billing administration system are essential and amazingly useful when running your swim team’s finances. You can view expiring cards, failed transactions, aging reports, and much more. All of these are available under Billing Admin on the side.
- On the 1st of every month (or the 2nd if the 1st falls on a Sunday) under Reports you will be able to access the "Credit Card Processed Summary" to see a breakdown of your team’s transactions and if they were approved or denied from autopay processing.
- Check the Invoices & Payments Overview tab for the following.
- Click the Expiring Credit Cards button at any time to generate a report see if cards have or will expire in the system. From the Overview page, easily communicate via email with these families to update their card on file. An automatic email is sent on the 15th of every month to these accounts asking them to update their card on file.
- The Billing Simulation Report allows you to take a glimpse into the future to see what will be charged to each account next month. It is critical you run this report every month to ensure your accounts will get charged what you expect and that there are no surprise charges.
Email Reminders in Billing Setup
When a credit card fails for an account during the monthly recurring billing cycle, you can have the billing system generate an email letting the account know their credit card failed. This includes the scheduled late date and a late charge should this be applicable based on predefined settings.
- These team settings can be found in Billing Admin > Billing Setup.
- Under Email Reminders, set the Automatically email the account if charging their Credit Card fails drop down to Yes and remember to Save Changes.
- Now an email will be automatically generated to the account if their Credit Card fails to process.
(ACH payments are only applicable in the United States)
How secure are credit card and ACH transactions and account info?
Feel safe and secure with TeamUnify’s Credit Card and ACH processing system. We are up to date and current with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) compliance—the highest standard in credit card security.
- Secure Socket Layer (“SSL”) technology and Transport Layer Security ("TLS") protects your personal information.
- We utilize physical security, data encryption, customer authentication, operating system security, database security, and server management security to protect your personal information.
- After entering and saving a credit card or bank account number, neither TeamUnify staff nor even the family can view it.
- Read our TeamUnify website and data security article to see our full online security standards.
When will our team receive the money from auto pay in our account?
On the 1st (or the 2nd if the 1st falls on a Sunday), transactions for the full amount of an account's monthly balance will be charged to each family's payment type and transmitted to your swim team's bank account.
- For every family paying via credit card, within 48 to 72 business hours their money will be in your swim team's bank account.
- ACH transactions will take 5-7 business days to complete. You can monitor the status of these transactions in Billing Admin > Invoices & Payments in the ACH Status tab.
- In the Invoice & Payments Overview tab, accounts listing, there is a column stating the last CC/ACH Status. This is the place to quickly check the payment status information of each account.
How can we tell who has auto pay set up?
Within Team Admin > Account/Member Admin section you can use Customize Filters > Pay Method - Team Fees filter where you can select Credit Card and/or ACH and click Done to see how many families have set up auto pay.
You can also select Check and None to see who hasn’t set up auto pay. You can also use the Fees paid by filter in the Billing Admin > Invoices & Payments section to do the same thing.
When I refund a credit card, how long does it take?
Account holders will typically receive the refund in 2-3 business days. Remember that if you are refunding for an incorrect invoice you also need to zero out your invoices. Learn more about refunding credit cards.