OnDeck Coach University: Run Meet/Time Race
After submitting entries to the meet host (even if that's you) and you are at the meet, you can (optionally) assign athletes to heats & lanes, and time athletes and relay teams in races. Pick whether you want to do this event by event (next section below), or by swimmer.
RUN MEET - by EVENTS
This allows you to pick an event and assign athletes or relay teams to
heats/lanes and time them in races. It is geared toward moving event by
event and timing multiple swimmers or relay teams. Access by tapping
> Events > Events & Meet Entries,
then tap RUN MEET by your desired meet. It defaults
to the EVENTS tab.
- Tap to configure split distances; i.e.,
what OnDeck considers a lap. Tap an item on the right to cycle through
the options, and DONE when finished. Freeform splits means
the user can take as many splits as wanted in a race and it won’t
end until user manually STOPs it.
- Number by event shows number of approved athletes in it. For relays (in blue), it indicates the number of relay teams.
- You can combine events as follows.
- Select at least two events to combine. The distance in each MUST match; everything else such as gender and stroke can be different. Once you select one, events that cannot be combined will be disabled.
- Tap COMBINEat the bottom and confirm you want to combine
- You will get an error if you try combining events where one or more swimmers are in the same events. For example, you cannot combine events 9 and 11 if Chris is swimming in both.
- You will now see a red C by the combined events.
- You may tap any of the combined events to time them.
- To uncombine them, select the same events and tap UNCOMBINE at the bottom.
- Tap an event to optionally assign heats/lanes and time the race. You do
not need to assign heats/lanes to time athletes.
- Tap ENTRIES if you need to enter/approve more athletes to the event.
- Tap the down arrow by a relay team to see the athletes in it.
- To assign or reassign athletes/relay teams to heats/lanes,
- Select one or more athletes, then tap ASSIGN HEAT to assign them all to the same heat, or
- Tap the ---/-- in the H/L column to assign an athlete or relay team to a heat and lane. As soon as you hit Done, they will move to the HEAT X header. If you tap Scratch, they will move to the SCRATCHED header.
- Tap SAVE after making any changes.
- To time athlete(s) or relay team(s) in a race,
- Select one or more athletes or relay teams using the checkboxes, then tap TIME RACE (see that section below for further instructions), or
- Tap an athlete's name to time that single athlete.
RUN MEET - by SWIMMERS
This allows you to pick athletes, optionally assign them to heats/lanes,
and time them in races. It is geared toward timing a single athlete at
a time. Access by tapping > Events > Events & Meet Entries,
tap RUN MEET by your desired meet, then tap the SWIMMERS tab.
- Tap to configure split distances; i.e., what OnDeck considers a lap. Tap an item on the right to cycle through the options, and DONE when finished. Freeform splits means the user can take as many splits as wanted in a race and it won’t end until user manually STOPs it.
- All swimmers are shown by default. Tap ALL KIDS to change
the button to MY KIDS and display only the kids in your
account. Tap again to go back to ALL KIDS. Note that this button does not
appear if you have no members in your account.
- Tap a swimmer's name to see their events at the bottom.
- Tap the ---/-- in the H/L column to assign athlete to heat
and lane and then DONE, or SCRATCH to scratch
them from that event. Tap SAVE ASSIGNED after making any
changes. This step is optional.
- Tap an event to time them in it; see next section.
This is a continuation of the Run Meet sections
above. You will need to perform the steps there before being able to time
- MODE — Change whether LAP button is on 25, 50, 100 or Freeform Meters/Yards.
- Tap the checkmark by the lane header to exclude the lane from timing, and again to re-include it.
- You can time up to four athletes or relay teams on the screen at once. If you have selected five or more to time, swipe left and right to see them. We do not recommend timing more than four at once.
- START to start timing.
- Tap RACE REVIEW to view results from other events while
timing the current event. The usual controls and options are available.
Tap the upper left arrow to return to the event you're timing.
- Tap LAP X when an athlete completes a lap.
- If you have selected more athletes/relay teams to time than will fit on the screen, swipe left and right to see them.
- Tap the green UNDO button if you accidentally tap LAP to continuing timing for that lane.
- Tap the red STOP button if they are unable to complete the race.
- Once all athletes/relay teams have finished, tap SAVE & DONE.
- You will now see the results of the race with the ability to view splits
and compare to time standards.
- Tap NEXT to move to the next event to time.
- Select one or more swimmers to then DELETE RESULTS at bottom (not shown).
- Tap a time to change it.
- Tap a stopwatch to see the splits. Tap the trashcan to delete the result.
- Tap a swimmer's name to compare with time standards.
- You can compare results achieved with time standards. By default, the
first swimmer's time is selected.
- Tap SELECT to select which time standard(s) to use.
- Tap FILTER to choose which age group to display from the
standard. When possible, the correct age group is automatically selected
for the selected swimmer.
- Tap the arrow to reveal or hide the time standards.
- Tap Hide My Time to toggle showing the selected swimmer's time with the blue line.
- Tap < EXIT in the upper left when finished viewing results.
- For those you timed, you will now see their names in green with a T to
indicate they were timed. Note you are still seeing their entry time,
not the results you just timed.
- To see their full results, tap their name. Controls are similar to the
TIME RACE RESULTS screen above.
- Arrows cycle through athletes who have been timed.
- View timings made by Coaches (default) or Parents.
- Tap to view splits, but not delete them.
- Time this swimmer again.
- You may check the boxes by the same name(s) and TIME RACE again, as many times as you like.
- Timed events will show in SwimOffice with a red OnDeck button
by them on the Athlete Signup tab (non-admins) or Committed Athletes tab
(admins). Click the button to see the times. Note these are unofficial
results and will not get included in the actual meet results.
After running your meets, view uploaded Meet Results in OnDeck.