Dealing with duplicate registrations
There are several reasons why you will see duplicate registrations, accounts and athletes.
- If you saved an old registration with new dates instead of cloning it, all the registrants from last season will still be in there. When they register again they will only have the option to add new members instead of selecting existing ones, thus creating duplicate athletes. The solution is to edit the registration, click Save Changes to a New Registration (Clone), then set that as the active registration to prevent further duplicates.
- If the registration dates for returning members has passed, then if a parent tries registering returning athletes they will only have the option to add new athletes instead of selecting existing ones, thus creating duplicate athletes. The solution is to edit the registration, move the ending date to today or later, and Save Changes. Or if your registration is truly closed to returning members, refund their money and let them know.
- Sometimes one parent will register their kids, then the other parent will register them again, not knowing the first one already registered them.
- We have added code to prevent duplicates, but if a parent registers under a new email address and has a different street address since they last registered, they will likely create a duplicate account.
So how do you fix the problem of existing duplicates? It will vary depending on the nature of the problem and how you choose to handle it. You will need to take care of two areas: manage registration and Account/Member Admin. Although you could refund their money, delete the incorrect registration and have the family redo it, this is usually not a good option for those teams that pay a per registration fee. There are also other considerations listed below.
First, go to Team Admin > Registration Admin (Chameleon) or Team Tools > Registration Admin (New CMS), click Manage next to the active registration, and find the account in question.
If the parent has registered under a new email address, there is now a duplicate account. TeamUnify suggests you keep the old account since we assume it has a longer history of billing attached to it which means the account needs to have this view.
In the above case or if they used the correct email address but registered their kids as new members only you need to deal with the duplicate members.
- If they paid by check you will need to mark it paid once you receive it.
- If you have not yet approved and assigned the athletes then DO NOT do so. Go to Member Admin and move the athletes to their new groups if needed and update any other changed info.
- If you already approved and assigned the athletes then you'll need to delete them in Member Admin.
If a parent used the correct email address but registered their kids twice,
- If they paid by credit card or paid by check and you already marked it paid, refund the duplicate reg and delete the duplicate reg if desired.
- If they paid by check and haven't sent the check then delete the duplicate reg.
- You will now need to delete the duplicate athletes in Member Admin.
Leave the manage registration window open for reference if needed. It's helpful to open a new tab in your browser to compare old accounts/members with new and to copy and paste between the two.
- Back on the main browser window go to Member Admin.
- Chameleon users: In the side menu click Team Admin > Account/Member Admin > Members tab.
- New CMS users: In the side menu click Team Tools > Members.
- Right click on the current browser tab and select Duplicate or Duplicate Tab.
- In one browser tab find and click the "old" existing member's name (should have an older Date Joined).
- In the duplicated browser tab find and click the new duplicate member's name (should have an newer Date Joined).
- Copy any updated info and settings from the new member to the old.
- Save changes to the old member and click the in the upper right to close it.
- Click the in the upper right of the new member to close it.
- Click the check box next to the newer duplicate member name, click Edit > Delete button and confirm you want to delete it.
- Repeat the above steps for any other duplicate members.
- If there is not a duplicate account then there is nothing more to do.
If the parent created a duplicate account as well, now you need to take care of that.
- In both browser tabs, click the Accounts tab at the top.
- In one browser tab find and click the "old" existing account's name.
- In another browser tab find and click the new duplicate account's name.
- Copy any updated info and settings from the new account to the old.
- You may need to check with the parent if they now want to use the new email address they used to register or keep using the old.
- Assuming they want to use the new, in the duplicate account copy the new address, then change it to something else; e.g., change email@example.com to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the old account change the login email to the new address (select it and paste to overwrite it).
- Copy any additional email addresses in the new account, delete it, and paste it in the old, then repeat for any others.
- The account holder will need to login and verify any new additional email addresses.
- Save changes in the old account.
- Click Email Login Instructions in the old account so they can set the password to their old account (when they do so it will also verify their address).
- Set the Account Status of the new account to Canceled/Hidden and then Save.
As you can see, this is a fairly complicated procedure. If you need assistance with any of these steps please contact support by clicking the question mark in the lower right and we can walk you through it.